A5/1 cracked

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Tue May 11 09:02:20 PDT 1999

Carrol wrote:

>All one needs to do is examine the results various people obtained in
>the '80s of their FBI files from the '60s to know how right Doug is --
>and that is without 30 years of technological improvement. But the
>truly horrifying thing is how deep into triviality "anything it wants to"
>extends. Personal assumption that what one is doing is too trivial
>for the FBI/NSA/CIA/DIA/State Red Squad/etc to be interested
>is all too often quite wrong. They really do want *you*. They wanted
>me 5 years before I got involved in politics (or had any idea of ever
>getting involved), just on the basis of a trivial bit of whimsy in a letter
>to the editor of the newspaper up in Marquette, Michigan.

Sure, Carrol, they're aye willing to take something brought to their hands, as it were. But go get a copy of PGP off the net and start doing simple 2X superencryption of the files or mail you want to keep private. Do you think they'll allocate the computes it would take to crack your stuff? I'd be willing to bet US$1000, cash money, against it. You and I just aren't that important. They'd burgle or Tempest-snoop our houses and try to steal our PGP seeds from our hard drives, first -- it's tonnes cheaper!