Intellectual Conservatism

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Thu May 13 08:35:30 PDT 1999

Nathan wrote:
> >Opposing the bombing is de facto allying
> >with Milosevic's regime, even if that does not mean you are pro-genocide or
> >ethnic clensing.

rc-am:
> no, it is not. the bombing will do nothing to help those expelled, it was
> never intended to help those expelled, by the clear admission of gen. Clark
> (sp?) - I just saw an interview with him where he categorically said stopping
> the expulsions and massacres was not on NATO's agenda, destroying the
> Belgrade govt.'s military was. the crucial difference between the two is
> clearly borne out by the military strategies adopted, as well as the results.

But this is unbelievable too. One can't destroy a dispersed, dug-in military force by bombing. A properly dug-in tank or artillery piece can survive a direct hit by anything short of a nuclear device. Blowing up buildings in Belgrade accomplishes nothing.

It's possible that NATO is now trying to destroy Serbia's economy, but I think it more likely that the present bombing is hysterical. That is, they don't know how to stop.