Intellectual Conservatism

kelley digloria at mindspring.com
Thu May 13 09:09:56 PDT 1999

>But this is unbelievable too. One can't destroy a
>dispersed, dug-in military force by bombing. A properly
>dug-in tank or artillery piece can survive a direct hit
>by anything short of a nuclear device. Blowing up
>buildings in Belgrade accomplishes nothing.
>
>It's possible that NATO is now trying to destroy Serbia's
>economy, but I think it more likely that the present bombing
>is hysterical. That is, they don't know how to stop.

i agree about the hysteria. but, as i understand it, the point of bombing has always been about destryong strategic communications, transportation, and energy infrastructure. this is the strategy that the best and the brightest initiated in VietNam--and that was a hopeless disaster for obvious reasons. you can see the logic of it, no? think what a state of chaos we'd be in right now if our radio/tv stations, power plants, bridges, roads were out of commission.

kelley