Today's Salon (continued) -- "Abrasive prick"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 14 11:49:22 PDT 1999

Seth Ackerman wrote:

>The Economist ran a chart a couple weeks ago, showing Korean GDP growth.
>No '99 data yet, but GDP shrank in all 4 quarters of '98, including over
>-5% in Q4. The "recovery" looks virtually all financial to me.

A financial recovery can be, though it doesn't have to be, a prelude to a real recovery. But the Journal article also has a chart showing a strong recovery in industrial production, starting last November and gaining speed earlier this year. Of course, the year-to-year comparisons are against crisis levels, but still...

I swiped the WSJ chart and posted it to the LBO website (with no other links other than here) at <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/KoreanIP.html>.

Doug