Eritrea/Ethiopia

Juliana Shearer julie at siliconengines-ltd.com
Fri May 14 12:26:02 PDT 1999

The day of the bombing that began the current war between Eritrea and Ethiopia, the Eritrean ambassador (to the US; unfortunately, I cannot even remember his name) was supposed to give a talk at DePaul University. I went because I was in the middle of a research project on pre-19th century Italian colonialism, which means Eritrean conquest. Instead of speaking about whatever it was that the Ambassador was supposed to address, he had to deal with the fact that the two countries were at war, and the rhetoric changed completely.

As far as I could tell, Eritrea at the time did not have much firepower or other things for waging war; they just had people, and lots of them. The Ambassador emphasized this many times, along with also emphasizing that his people were tired of war, and did not want their children to have to grow up in the way that they had, in the midst of war. And yet, here was the beginning of a war, and he made it clear that they would not at all back down.

Several people asked the Ambassador about the lack of both weapons and money and about his government's plans, and he waffled around and squirmed, and eventually implied that they were hoping that the international community would intervene to save them--especially since they were "right."

Since then, I have spoken to many Ethiopians and Eritreans, and they speak of constant propaganda such that they can never quite know what is going on (sound like anything else you guys have been talking about??), and of attempts by both coutries to expel citizens who live in one country but are from the other--young men in particular.

I have been wondering about the role of the "international community" ever since. Although the disagreements that have led to the war are largely economic (smuggling; trade problems; access to the sea; etc.), it began as a posturing contest, which each side saying that they were tough enough to wage war. They themselves admitted at the beginning that they would need outside help to settle the war, yet I don't see much action on the international front to do a thing. Are the Eritreans and Ethiopians completely misguided, or should they expect some help??

PS I have resubscribed, but cannot quite ever keep up with you guys. Anyway I can convince you not to resend the whole message that came before?? It makes the digest posts a nightmare to read. Thanks!

Julie Shearer Silicon Engines http://www.siliconengines-ltd.com