U.S. Senator Mike DeWine

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 14 21:36:37 PDT 1999

If you have the opportunity, emphasize basics such as a meaningful, ongoing commitment to training. Most companies are now short- changing themselves and workers by trying to save money here. The big joke is that companies today are now complaining that workers entering the workforce are not adequately prepared to work in industry. But I'd bet it's the case that *most* people taking a job are coming from *another* company, where, if that company also had a weak training program, they are ill-prepared because of the *previous* company, not solely because of their grade 12 work. So it is *companies* that are more directly responsible for poorly prepared workers (my bet). Here's Greenspan from last week:

"....has meant that the substitution of capital for labor has been inadequate to prevent us from steadily depleting the pool of available workers.

This worker depletion constitutes a critical upside risk to the inflation outlook because it presumably cannot continue without eventually putting increasing pressure on labor markets....."

That "pool of available workers" would be much better prepared if, on average, companies invested more in their training programs.

Also, you mention: "...in a context of a digital environment." Again, strong basics (shop math, high literacy, industrial quality concepts, etc. ) will always trump particular computer skills, as those can be learned in sufficient ways more quickly than these other broader fundamental skills. Also, this "digital environment" stuff is partly a lie. I worked for a NYSE-listed company not too long ago that was preparing to upgrade the backbone of it's information management system. A group came out from IBM's advanced business products group and interviewed people for about two weeks. At the briefing at the end they said they wouldn't recommend any of their products to us and would not sell us anything!!! They said we didn't understand what business we were in and that our information needs were too undefined and a state-of-the-art system would be no solution for us - we hadn't done the basics yet of determining *what* information and reports were needed, etc. Most companies never go through this analytical exercise and therefore fail for a good long time at implementing IS technology - IBM did us a favor! Yeah, the IS stuff is sexy but the "soft issues" involving communication and basic, effective communication are where the biggest gains are hiding (then fold in appropriate IS technology.)

-steve grube (my background is quality/technical consulting) =========================