1920s/1990s

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 15 09:30:43 PDT 1999

The other day, Samuel Brittan devoted his Financial Times column to the madness of the U.S. stock market. (For the moment, it's at <http://www.ft.com/hippocampus/qcf5b2.htm>, but the FT doesn't keep stuff up for long. The thing has been circulated on other lists, but not this one.) Brittan is no alarmist - he's a pretty orthodox, level-headed, verging-on-boring guy, and he says "This is the first time that I recall expressing a view on stock markets anywhere." But his phrase for Wall Street today is "nonsense on stilts" (which comes from Jeremy Bentham, I'm told).

Brittan's article was decorated with one of those inevitable charts comparing the 1920s to the 1990s. Those were popular in the 1980s just before the crash, but I don't recall seeing any in this even-madder decade. The FT's web site doesn't have the chart, so I made one myself. It's at <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Stox90svs20s.html>. Uncanny, but as we all know, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Doug