RAF sent to Corsica, Paras & Gurkhas to the Balkans

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Sun May 16 06:52:47 PDT 1999

> Here is an interesting Press Association dispatch. It's possibly significant
> that "the successful end of the air campaign" might be thought near enough
> that a couple of the hardest-ass regiments in the British Army would be among
> the units to link up with the US Marines for a possible ground war....

Only small units are mentioned. A serious ground invasion would require at least two or three hundred thousand troops and a buildup lasting months. The announcement and its referent (if any) must have some other purpose.

The NATO leadership cannot possibly be under the impression that the air campaign has been successful in disabling the Yugoslav army, so I would guess that "successful end of the air campaign" must refer to the Russian fix being put in and victory being declared.

In this case elite troops might be useful in occupying and disciplining Albania.