RAF sent to Corsica, Paras & Gurkhas to the Balkans

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Mon May 17 08:09:33 PDT 1999

On Sat, 15 May 1999, W. Kiernan wrote:
> about the Soviet's computer-triggered Doomsday bomb, charged up with
> enough radioactive thorium-cobalt-G to exterminate everything above the
> lowest galleries of the deepest mines if any U.S. bombs went off over
> the Soviet Union. And you rememeber where Dr. Kissinger shouts, "If you
> have this Doomsday weapon, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ANYONE ABOUT IT???"

Well, they were planning on announcing it at the party congress next tuesday. You know how the general secretary loves surprises.

More to the point: what makes you think that the general population of NATO countries would be the desired recipients of such a message? Or whether the message itself would have been desirable. Indeed, it would work *much* better had the serbs stayed quiet, and then pointed to the resulting bloodshed as examples of NATO aggression against the peace-loving serbian nation.

I think (given my own tendency for armchair quarterbacking) that the FRY recognizes that it is not a military match for NATO - either on the air or on the ground. The war, for them, is fought on the airwaves, in the hearts and minds of the citizenry (both domestically, to avoid a coup, and in NATO countries, to blunt their will to go to war). If so, better then to avoid seeming like the aggressors themselves.

Why would you want potential aggressors to know about your defenses, military or otherwise? If you have the doomsday machine, certainly; if not, probably not.

marco