China should apologize to the US

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 17 13:03:30 PDT 1999

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>At 12:22 PM 5/17/99 -0400, Henry C.K. Liu wrote:
>>It is views like Safire's and Buckley's that justify Chinese anger.
>>And such views are not in the minority in America at this moment.
>>If the right wing thinks it's to America's interest to make China an
>>enemy, they will success and may not live to regret it, along with the
>>rest of us.
>

>henry, I think you take these two clowns too seriously. What they say
>should be viewed as a Dennis The Menace's fart - there is no meaning in it
>other than obnoxious behavior designed to piss the target audience.

Oh maybe they're a bit extreme, but there's a lot of agitation on the right to demonize China these days. The campaign contribution scandals, the spying scandals, etc. And it's not just the right - it's the front page of the New York Times, which has been featuring both stories pretty heavily.

See the incomparable Jude Wanniski's memo on China, freshly posted today at <http://www.polyconomics.com/>, with links to earlier rants. Today's missive contains this great line about the bombing of Yugoslavia: "As Jack Kemp put it, this is an international WACO, where women and children are incinerated or ripped to shreds by cluster bombs in order to protect them from a fate worse than death."

Doug