The Bubblemeister panicking?

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon May 17 15:51:51 PDT 1999

Enrique,

The usual story, which I have no reason to contest, is that the shorter the term of the interest rate, the more the Fed can control it, with the overnight Federal Funds Rate in fact being its main immediate policy target. The Fed has very little control over the 30-year long bond rate, and that is what has been rising most recently, reflecting rising expectations of renewed inflation.

Fed might feel forced to raise short term rates to offset this rising expectation, which might actually cause the long term rates to drop, although not necessarily (didn't happen' the last time the Fed raised short term rates back in 1994). Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, May 17, 1999 5:38 PM Subject: Re: The Bubblemeister panicking?