China should apologize to the US

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Mon May 17 20:09:00 PDT 1999

Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> It is views like Safire's and Buckley's that justify Chinese anger.
> And such views are not in the minority in America at this moment.

I haven't heard one, not one, ordinary citizen who buys even half the NATO line. And everybody I talk to, red-blooded American patriots practically all of them, is aghast that we bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade. Even the ones who buy the transparently false crap about "it was an accident, we had the wrong map, etc." are appalled.

We hear absolutely nothing but the grossest propaganda all day long on all the major news media, and on top of that those of us dumb enough to read the newspaper editorials have to endure disgusting maniacal rants like this one you copied off that dirtbag Safire, but thus far - and I think this is pretty significant, in a nation of Jingos-by-nature like the U.S.A. - I haven't heard even one real person who takes any of it at face value. The only thing that even resembles enthusiasm comes out of some, but not all, national politicians, together with a majority of mass news media talking heads. All sensible people automatically presume that that sort never say anything except lies.

There was a whole lot more public resentment toward that previous reanimation of Hitler, Saddam, than there is toward Hitler's new avatar, "Slobbo." Could be that Saddam was racially more distant from middle America than Milosevic, or could be that resentment was transferred from how those raghead OPEC mothers done tore up our economy in the seventies, dumb basterds made me sell my rockin gas-suckin Chevelle SS396. Also could be those propaganda idiots have worn "Hitler" right out. That might not be such a good thing. Suppose along comes a real another "Hitler," the bored electorate/audience just says, "yeah, yeah..." Of course, likely as not that new "Hitler" would be an American president anyway. When I think of Hitler, I think of the Blitz.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net