China should apologize to the US

CounterPunch sitka at teleport.com
Mon May 17 15:40:06 PDT 1999

Henry Liu wrote:
>The extreme right is getting more and more mainstream. It is
>not so benign.

Or the extreme right is becoming more and more leftwing. Witness the appearance of Christopher Hitchens on the Drudge Report this weekend, parrotting the Safire line on ChinaGate. Hitchens bemoaned the fact that the Clintonoids "had sold our nuclear secrets" to the Chinese. He warned of the rise of crazy religious cults (of neither Maoist nor, yes he said it, Stalinist origins) in Beijing and predicted that in 10 years a "gang of crackpots" could be running China, with our nuclear weapons aimed right back at us. Holy smokes. Even the dredful Drudge was speechless. By the way, the Hitchen bit on China was replayed all day on FoxNews, including a snip that followed the observations of a rather pale Katrina vanden Heuvel on the "Kremlin Crisis." Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just a year or so ago that KvH commissioned one of my favorite writers, Robert Sherrill, to pen a nasty cover piece The Nation on the evils of Rupert Murdoch? Times change.

JSC

___________________________________________________________ ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER? Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION! The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site <http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu at nwu.org>.