suburbanites killing each other again

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 21 09:23:00 PDT 1999

At 11:02 AM 5/21/99 -0400, Doug wrote:
>Fellows, Jeffrey wrote:
>
>>I think this statement is repulsive, callous, and symptomatic of the type of
>>social disintegration people on this list are trying to overcome. Jeff

>>> killing

>Yeah Wojtek, that's pretty awful. Much about American suburbia sucks, but
>the people who live there are human. Maybe if the fellows of the Council on
>Foreign Relations had a shootout after an empire-planning session I might
>feel no remorse, but otherwise, that's just nihilism.

Doug & Jeffrey:

I think I worded my statement rather carefully to convey my sense of emotional detachment. "Not feeling remorse" does NOT mean "condone" "feel happy about" or "encourage."

Why shoud I hold any particular feelings toward people who do their best to isolate themselves from social "undesirables" such as myself. Why should I fake a sense of solidarity in a society where none exists?

Why should I feel concerned about the bombastic news of a few wealthy white kids shooting each other, whereas the death of thousands of dark-skinned or below-the-poverty-level people in inner cities do not even make the news, except perhaps as alarmistic stories of "rising crime" addressed to middle class audiences?

Nihilism? Perhaps. But it is also an effective survival strategy in the world dominated by spin, consumerism, decadent materialism, and political machiavellianism.

wojtek