gun control

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Fri May 21 10:38:42 PDT 1999

Jordan writes:

>If Janet Reno prevails in her illegal implementation of the
>instant-check, you have such a system, nationwide. Instant-check
>records serial numbers. The law authorizing it specifically asks the
>FBI/ATF to use the information to check whether a purchaser is
>forbidden (felon, etc.) and then to destroy the records. Executive
>Branch, in the US, apparently wears the pants when it comes to gun laws
>as well as the projection of military power against foreign powers.
>
>I guess I was reading the wrong constitution.

Here's the thing I can't figure, Jordan: I know you think people who want to limit gun ownership are ignoring the constitution, and I know you think guns and gun ownership are endorsed by the constitution; but do you think that makes it/them right? Does being in the Consitution of the United States (the wording is probably disordered) make it intrinsically good, ethical, virtuous, valuable, right, fair, just, and so on. If you do not believe this then please stop citing the constitution as proof that criticism of gun ownership or gun laws is misplaced. If you do believe this then my (and anyone else's) argument with you would be very different, and I'd like to have this clarified.

Catherine