reverence for the constitution

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 22 14:20:08 PDT 1999

kelley wrote:

>funny, by 1848 that they held a Convention in Seneca Falls and wrote a
>declaration of sentiments, modeled after the D of I. Their goal: to alter
>the Constitution. Furthermore, a similar Convention was held by Freed
>Slaves some time later, details escape me at the mo' Finally, both of
>these were undone by what? constitutional amendments. oh but i guess
>they were all falsely conscious, eh?

They deliberately made it difficult to amend, becuase it was a document written by and elite trying to control a mass. You can mythify and revere all you like, but I prefer giving wider berth to the textual and institutional product of 18th century Southern planters.

How is it defensible on democratic grounds that Wyoming should have the same number of senators as California?

Doug