Suburbanite killings

Bert Davis bdavis at citicom.com
Sat May 22 16:10:03 PDT 1999

Wojtek's attitude is understandable. It's evident in our everyday lives. The aggressive driving, the drugs (legal and illegal) to escape the pressure, the insecurity, the worry, the hype, the manical media. How many times in a life can one bleed for others? Heart break with pity? How many hopes, ideals, beliefs shattered, crushed can one stand? I've watched the growth of corporations for many years...The corporate lies, thefts, killings by neglect. The stealing of Congress, harrassment of the White House, co-opting the UN, bribing, bullying, crushing everything in the way. Ask them... "Where is your compassion?." Yet the middle class clamors for more regardless of the hurt that emenates from..."My only job is to make money for the stockholders". Ask the stockholders, ask the CEO, as the directors to have compassion. Why should leftists be the only ones to have compassion? A nerve can be stimulated until it goes dead. Its energy is depleted. Is compassion any different? All those killed in useless wars, what about the other living creatures of this earth? What about the world's poor caught in the IMF trap. The 10 cents worth of medicine that would save a life, but patents and profits are more important. Capitalism is the antithesis of compassion. This is what happens when we put "money before people." How can one be compassionate in a Capitalist society without becoming half crazy? Numb? Dead inside? Crushed with grief? One could just as well celebrate the deaths as a release from overwhelming, impossible, maddening, cacophonous, insane society where everything is for profit and little is for people. Where the greatest science is being used for war. $250 billion interest annually for past wars and $300 billion annually for present wars. What a hideous way to keep an economy going. It is evident why people don't have much compassion. They won't isurvive if they have too much compassion. It is a necessary adaptation in order to survive in a Capitalist society. Wojtek is a survivor.