Revering the Constitution

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Sat May 22 16:41:46 PDT 1999

The taxonomy of property and the accompanying "rights" structure that we on the left think we have is to weak to counter the reverence that is found throughout US society at large regarding the Constitution. It is Business property per se, and the claim to have a right to accumulate as much of it as one desires that stands in marked contrast to the "need/right" for a personal shelter of X number of square feet for living space.

I would suggest that one of the philosophical tasks for left scholarship in the next century is to counter the weak taxonomies of property discourse that have been developed since Locke and Hobbes. Perhaps, following the recent essay by Daniel W. Bromley, we could pick up Rousseau's and Marx's torch and develop a richer repertoire of property categories that analyzes all the economic and ecological effects of various types of business properties currently in existence and demonstrate how they constitute barriers to equality and sustainability.

The Constitution says nothing regarding the government' ability to reappropriate property for the common good, only that it compensate those from whom it takes...

Ian Murray Seattle, WA

Daniel W. Bromley "Rousseau's Revenge: The Demise of the Freehold Estate", in Who Owns America: Social Conflict Over Property Rights, edited by Harvey Jacobs, Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 1998