reverence for the constitution

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat May 22 18:25:55 PDT 1999

"Article I Section 9. The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year on thousand eight hundred and eight,"

The above was called by George Washington, "the Quaker Amendment". It represented one of only two attempts in the constitution to limit slavery on a national level.

The "three fifths of all other persons" Article 1. Section 2., in reality limited the slave states to fewer represenatives in the national government than they otherwise would have had if all persons had been counted in full. This could be viewed as northern racism or an attempt to let the southerners know that full representation on a national level would only occur if slavery were abolished.

No where in the Constitution is word corporation mentioned. Yet as Mike has pointed out, corporation's have been given the same rights as "Persons" by our federal judicial system. The whole story of how our state legislatures and state attorney generals lost control of the corporate chatering process or have refused to challenge the corporations is an almost uknown topic.

Your email pal,

Tom L.