reverence for the constitution

Sat May 22 22:55:53 PDT 1999

Doug noted about the Constitution:

>Check against what? The power of the majority, mainly.

in the book on the Constitution ed. Bertell Ollman there is an interesting excerpt from one of Woody Wilson's books in which the self conscious antimajoritarian motives of the Founding Fathers in devising the system of checks and balances is openly discussed. When I studied political theory, I found the radical democrat Sheldon Wolin's analyses very helpful. There is also a helpful book by Gerald Fresia on this question, though ultimately it reads more like a manifesto. Much insight is to be gained from attention to the Federalist Papers (#17?#51?) I can't remember if the right to strike is guaranteed in the US constitution as it was in the one drafted by the Sadinistas. I wish I had read Staughton Lynd's work on early American history and the Constitution.

yours, rakesh

ps sorry for the deliquence in answering Greg N, Kelley and Doug on other questions.