The weakness of the anti-war movement

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sun May 23 23:46:07 PDT 1999

But, but, Charles. They weren't actually using the draft were they? Between Korea and Vietnam. Like well into Vietnam. Or if they were, I, and the majority of us rubes didn't know about it. imho.

In any case, it took a lot of blood of US citizens to overcome the mass hysteria of anti-communism.

At 07:52 PM 5/23/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I havn't had time to catch up with this thread yet, but the other day on
>Ted(Mr. Liberal) Turner's right-wing radio station, WCNN-am, a
>guy(conservative) was pushing to reinstitute the draft. He was against the
>war in the Balkans, and contended that the only way you were going to get a
>strong anti-war movement would be if and when the children of the affluent
>and middle-class were dying. And I thought, gee, you know, he's probably
>right. And I saw the Vietnam thing in a whole different light.
>>>
>BTW, I wonder who started the push for a draft back then? Could they have
>considered that that would be the beginning of the end? Of course, they
>couldn't have considered Henry Kissinger's career ambitions.

>Charles: Laflame, I think they had had the draft since at least WWII. The
change was when they got rid of it.