incompleteness theorem (was: gun control)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon May 24 06:48:24 PDT 1999

At 06:18 PM 5/21/99 -0400, Barkely Rosser wrote:
> I just read both an article in _Scientific American_
>and a book review in _Mathematical Intelligencer_ on
>a new biography of the mathematical logician, Kurt
>Godel, he of the famous Incompleteness Theorem.
>Apparently when he was examined to become a US
>citizen in the late 1940s (Albert Einstein and Oskar
>Morgenstern were present to shepherd the extreme
>eccentric genius through), they had to repress him from
>making an extended speech about contradictions in the
>US constitution that he perceived when the examining
>judge asked him what he thought of that particular document.

That is somewhat strange. Isn't it what his incompleteness theorem would predict? That is, it is impossible to construct a logically coherent system a la constitional law (i.e. you would find mutually contradicting statements or principles that are logically derived from the "axioms" i.e. constitutional law; btw. Kenneth Arrow demonstrated that contradiction in the rat choice model of social organization in a more systematic way).

In other words, such contradictions are old news, so why ranting about them, and piss the crypto nazis at the INS. I was stupid enough to do that (i.e. refused to agree to serve in the US Army on ethical grounds) - and what followed warrants a separate story.

wojtek