Havel: NATO doing God's work

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 24 12:45:48 PDT 1999

Havel has a piece in the New York Review of Books arguing that the nation-state must yield to internationally enforced human rights claims (rights that come from God, of course), and NATO is that instrument in Yugoslavia. It's the most cynical piece of antistatism in the service of imperial power I've ever seen.

You can get it on the NYRB website, broken into 8 parts <http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWfeatdisplay.cgi?19990610004F> or in one part on the LBO website <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Havel.html>.

Slavoj Zizek denounced this piece furiously to your correspondent the other night, and rejected any claims that his double blackmail piece (circulated here a while back, and published in the current New Left Review) was in any way an endorsement of NATO. He also furiously denounced Svetlana Slapsak, author of the piece "Zizek's Lads" that circulated around a month ago. He described her as a well-connected ruling class snob who always looked down on SZ for his sloppier ways.

Some choice excerpts -

"Of course, the same thing must be understood by those who, on the contrary, have a tendency to regard their own 'otherness' as grounds for feelings of superiority."

"This war places human rights above the rights of the state. The Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was attacked by the alliance without a direct mandate from the UN. This did not happen irresponsibly, as an act of aggression or out of disrespect for international law. It happened, on the contrary, out of respect for the law, for a law that ranks higher than the law which protects the sovereignty of states. The alliance has acted out of respect for human rights, as both conscience and international legal documents dictate.

This is an important precedent for the future. It has been clearly said that it is simply not permissible to murder people, to drive them from their homes, to torture them, and to confiscate their property. What has been demonstrated here is the fact that human rights are indivisible and that if injustice is done to one, it is done to all.

I have often asked myself why human beings have any rights at all. I always come to the conclusion that human rights, human freedoms, and human dignity have their deepest roots somewhere outside the perceptible world. These values are as powerful as they are because, under certain circumstances, people accept them without compulsion and are willing to die for them, and they make sense only in the perspective of the infinite and the eternal. I am deeply convinced that what we do, whether it be in harmony with our conscience, the ambassador of eternity, or in conflict with it, can only finally be assessed in a dimension that lies beyond that world we can see around us. If we did not sense this, or subconsciously assume it, there are some things that we could never do.

Allow me to conclude my remarks on the state and its probable role in the future with the assertion that, while the state is a human creation, human beings are the creation of God."

And cluster bombs are the weapon of His justice.

Doug