Zizek speaks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 26 11:15:13 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>I do not recall you commenting on the following passages from his article
>in the latest New Left Review. Are you in agreement with them? Or do I
>wholly misunderstand their significance?

I asked Zizek about this when I talked with him last week. I said it sounded a bit too much like an endorsement of NATO for my taste. He swore it wasn't, and swore he opposed the bombing.

I largely agree with the bottom half of what you quote. I don't like the first half so much, mainly because I get nervous when people talk about what "The West" should do. The term itself seems like a euphemism for a racialized imperialism, and I don't like the idea of "The West" intervening in other people's affairs.

Doug