Zizek speaks

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed May 26 14:24:05 PDT 1999

Interesting direct clarification.

I accept that Zizek should not be quoted as supporting the bombing.

I too also had some reservations about the apparent identification with "the West" and I assumed this reflected his position as a Slovene, accepting the logic of late 20th century European economic and social patterns.

I have little knowledge of him apart from the fact that he has Doug's regard. My impression from this piece is that underneath the way he plays with the subtleties of subjective surface phenomena, there is a more robust position.

He asks

>how to build *transnational* political movements and institutions
>strong enough to constrain seriously the unlimited rule of Capital

I am sure he does not think there is a simple or a simplistic answer to this, whereas I think we will only progress by starting to pose simplistic answers and then refine them in struggle (eg the Tobin tax). I obviously think the strategic perspective is a necessary one, which leaps over the limitations of fighting capitalism purely within the nation state.

Chris Burford

London