Max's practical import

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu May 27 14:54:17 PDT 1999

> . . . We could have a debate about about what the
practical effects of non-violent alternatives would be. But it seems to me that there can be no serious debate about the effects of the bombing so far. They have massively escalated the atrocities against the Kosovars. Period. >

We could still have an unserious debate. For instance, I agree that bombing gave Milo cover to be more brutal than otherwise in the given time frame. I do not agree that bombing necessarily rendered the Kosovar position worse over the longer term. In other words, with no bombing I would say Kosovo could have gotten into similar straits over a more protracted period. Milo could have gradually escalated his criminal deeds to simlar effect, helped by NATO rhetorical dithering and provocations by the KLA. Semicolon.

> It seems to me that as a proponent of the bombing, you are in a
weak position to condemn other points of view from the perspective of the welfare of the Kosovars. >

I'm happy to concede my position in this is weak. This is a tough thing to deal with when all parties to the conflict have non-trivial shortcomings. Moreover, at this point in time my position is pretty much gratuitous. Kosova is screwed.

I still think an emphasis on self-determination for Kosova in the face of Milo's behavior was preferable to reflexive anti-bombing and remains valid in principle. And as I've said umpteen times, I'm against bombing civilians altogether, and I'm not "for" bombing so much as favoring a different focus of agitation. But I'm repeating myself (again).

mbs