Class structure in the Balkans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 29 13:47:02 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>It alone should answer the sectarian objection that LBO-talk should be
>ignored because it does not close its lists to "right wingers" who may be
>influenced by the Guardian.

In my world, Guardian types aren't right-wingers. Maybe in some other worlds. Ok, right social democrats perhaps. But if the modal Guardian reader is right-wing, then what is the modal Telegraph reader?

>But I wanted here to highlight the class observation below which seems to
>me very probably correct.
>
>>Nato's bombing strategy was questioned yesterday by Paul Rogers, professor
>>at Bradford university's school of peace studies, in a study on the
>>economic geography of the Kosovo war.

Didn't Rogers say early in the Gulf War that the Iraqis would present a mighty resistance?

I think there's a good possibility NATO could "win" just by pounding the hell out of Serbia for weeks on end and completely destroying the country. Even if it's a largely rural population, the loss of city markets and services could cause rural life to unravel along with urban.

Doug