NATO shift in bombing strategy

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun May 30 22:54:13 PDT 1999

> Guardian - May 29, 1999
>
> Shift in bombing a warning to Serbs
>
> Air raids: Nato clears way for possible ground troops
> Links, reports and background: more on Kosovo
>
> Richard Norton-Taylor and Martin Walker in Brussels
>
> Nato has shifted the emphasis of its bombing campaign in the past 24 hours
> to target Yugoslav army positions and equipment along the main road from
> the Kosovo capital of Pristina to the Macedonian border, the most likely
> potential entry route for Nato ground forces.

Has there been any indication that Macedonia has shifted from the position it has held since the beginning of the war, that it would not allow troops to attack Serbia from its territory? Or that Greece has shifted from its insistence that it will not allow Thessalonika to be used as a port of invasion? My impression from Tariq Ali's most recent article in Counterpunch is that both positions have if anything hardened. Without changes in those positions, an invasion from Macedonia is a fantasy. The only possible routes would be in from Albania, or attacking Montenegro and going in through there, or attacking the rest of Yugoslavia first through Hungary. In which case I wonder wonder what this targetting story represents -- ignorance, wishful thinking, posturing or secret diplomacy.