Carter's criticism of NATO bombing

Adam Souzis adam at souzis.com
Sat May 29 18:57:42 PDT 1999

Carter's OpEd piece in the NY Times was a stronger critique than his position potrayed in the article you reproduce -- I've included it below.

Also the San Jose Mercury News (a pretty mainstream outfit) came out against the war on the same day, comdemming NATO's policy of terrorizing the civilan population. Their editorial begins "President Clinton should be ashamed of the attacks on civilians" and ends "Our side began this war with a moral imperative. This week we lost it, somewhere in the skies over Belgrade." http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/opinion/edit/BOMBING.htm

Escalation is inevitable given the insane logic of war, and domestic resistance will grow as the war's intensity become disproportionate to the mainsteam's preception of the importance of the "problem to be solved" by the war. hmm, that sounds a bit too equation like but I think that is one way to look at what is going on here.

-- adam

NYT May 27

Have We Forgotten the Path to Peace?

By JIMMY CARTER

After the cold war, many expected that the world would enter an era

of unprecedented peace and prosperity. Those who live in

developed nations might think this is the case today, with the possible

exception of the war in Kosovo. But at the Carter Center we monitor all

serious conflicts in the world, and the reality is that the number of such

wars has increased dramatically.

One reason is that the United Nations was designed to deal with

international conflicts, and almost all the current ones are civil wars in

developing countries. This creates a peacemaking vacuum that is most

often filled by powerful nations that concentrate their attention on

conflicts that affect them, like those in Iraq, Bosnia and Serbia. While the

war in Kosovo rages and dominates the world's headlines, even more

destructive conflicts in developing nations are systematically ignored by

the United States and other powerful nations.

One can traverse Africa, from the Red Sea in the northeast to the

southwestern Atlantic coast, and never step on peaceful territory. Fifty

thousand people have recently perished in the war between Eritrea and

Ethiopia, and almost two million have died during the 16-year conflict in

neighboring Sudan. That war has now spilled into northern Uganda,

whose troops have joined those from Rwanda to fight in the Democratic

Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire). The other Congo (Brazzaville) is

also ravaged by civil war, and all attempts to bring peace to Angola have

failed. Although formidable commitments are being made in the Balkans,

where white Europeans are involved, no such concerted efforts are being

made by leaders outside of Africa to resolve the disputes. This gives the

strong impression of racism.

Because of its dominant role in the United Nations Security Council and

NATO, the United States tends to orchestrate global peacemaking.

Unfortunately, many of these efforts are seriously flawed. We have

become increasingly inclined to sidestep the time-tested premises of

negotiation, which in most cases prevent deterioration of a bad situation

and at least offer the prospect of a bloodless solution. Abusive leaders

can best be induced by the simultaneous threat of consequences and the

promise of reward -- at least legitimacy within the international

community.

The approach the United States has taken recently has been to devise a

solution that best suits its own purposes, recruit at least tacit support in

whichever forum it can best influence, provide the dominant military

force, present an ultimatum to recalcitrant parties and then take punitive

action against the entire nation to force compliance.

The often tragic result of this final decision is that already oppressed

citizens suffer, while the oppressor may feel free of further consequences

if he perpetrates even worse crimes. Through control of the news media,

he is often made to seem heroic by defending his homeland against

foreign aggression and shifting blame for economic or political woes

away from himself.

Our general purposes are admirable: to enhance peace, freedom,

democracy, human rights and economic progress. But this flawed

approach is now causing unwarranted suffering and strengthening

unsavory regimes in several countries, including Sudan, Cuba, Iraq and --

the most troubling example -- Serbia.

There, the international community has admirable goals of protecting the

rights of Kosovars and ending the brutal policies of Slobodan Milosevic.

But the decision to attack the entire nation has been counterproductive,

and our destruction of civilian life has now become senseless and

excessively brutal. There is little indication of success after more than

25,000 sorties and 14,000 missiles and bombs, 4,000 of which were not

precision guided.

The expected few days of aerial attacks have now lengthened into

months, while more than a million Kosovars have been forced from their

homes, many never to return even under the best of circumstances. As

the American-led force has expanded targets to inhabited areas and

resorted to the use of anti-personnel cluster bombs, the result has been

damage to hospitals, offices and residences of a half-dozen ambassadors,

and the killing of hundreds of innocent civilians and an untold number of

conscripted troops.

Instead of focusing on Serbian military forces, missiles and bombs are

now concentrating on the destruction of bridges, railways, roads, electric

power, and fuel and fresh water supplies. Serbian citizens report that they

are living like cavemen, and their torment increases daily. Realizing that

we must save face but cannot change what has already been done,

NATO leaders now have three basic choices: to continue bombing ever

more targets until Yugoslavia (including Kosovo and Montenegro) is

almost totally destroyed, to rely on Russia to resolve our dilemma

through indirect diplomacy, or to accept American casualties by sending

military forces into Kosovo.

S o far, we are following the first, and worst, option -- and seem to be

moving toward including the third. Despite earlier denials by American

and other leaders, the recent decision to deploy a military force of

50,000 troops on the Kosovo border confirms that the use of ground

troops will be necessary to assure the return of expelled Albanians to

their homes.

How did we end up in this quagmire? We have ignored some basic

principles that should be applied to the prevention or resolution of all

conflicts:

Short-circuiting the long-established principles of patient negotiation leads

to war, not peace.

Bypassing the Security Council weakens the United Nations and often

alienates permanent members who may be helpful in influencing warring

parties.

The exclusion of nongovernmental organizations from peacemaking

precludes vital "second track" opportunities for resolving disputes.

Ignoring serious conflicts in Africa and other underdeveloped regions

deprives these people of justice and equal rights.

Even the most severe military or economic punishment of oppressed

citizens is unlikely to force their oppressors to yield to American

demands.

The United States' insistence on the use of cluster bombs, designed to kill

or maim humans, is condemned almost universally and brings discredit on

our nation (as does our refusal to support a ban on land mines).

Even for the world's only superpower, the ends don't always justify the

means.