Carter's criticism of NATO bombing

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun May 30 10:33:57 PDT 1999

At 18:57 29/05/99 -0700, adam wrote:
>Carter's OpEd piece in the NY Times was a stronger critique than his
>position potrayed in the article you reproduce -- I've included it below.

<snip>

>Have We Forgotten the Path to Peace?
>
> By JIMMY CARTER

<snip>

>The United States' insistence on the use of cluster bombs,
>designed to kill or maim humans, is condemned almost universally and brings
>discredit on our nation (as does our refusal to support a ban on land
mines).

If anyone has effective links into the peace movement this would be the right time tactically to call for an immediate moratorium on both cluster bombs and mines.

The mine problem will be dreadful. What could be more reasonable then than for NATO to stop dropping cluster bombs in return for the Serb regime not laying mines over Kosovo???

Except that there are bigger demands to be made. (And I do asssume that no effective campaigning is possible in the west without at least making some reference to the aggression by the Serbs against the Kosovans).

Perhaps these two points can be highlighted in the wider context.

No doubt these suggestions will stick in some people's throat, but without considering specifics and timing there can be no campaigning that actually changes the world. It would be a revolutionary reform if out of these wars there was a ban on mines and cluster bombs.

Chris Burford

London