Bosnia, Kosovo, prelude to Soviet Union

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon May 31 14:11:40 PDT 1999

Paddy Ashdown, leader of the Liberal Democrat Party in Britain has been successful in persuading Tony Blair to intervene in Kosovo, and then to promote the idea of ground troops.

On Saturday he argued that Bosnia and Kosovo were mere preludes to the tasks of NATO with the forthcoming implosion of the former Soviet Union.

I cannot really see this. I can see Europe expecting to assimilate the Yugoslavia. Yesterday Slovakia just voted in a president sympathetic to the country aligning with the European Union and seeking NATO entry.

Russia, Belarus, and the Ukraine, are surely too large to be assimilated and interfered with in this way. Chechnya showed that. Besides Kosovo has been no pushover for NATO. I would have thought the worst of the financial crisis was now over in Russia, and the IMF will compromise on the room for economic expansion.

Does anyone agree with Paddy Ashdown on this point?

Chris Burford