Bosnia, Kosovo, prelude to Soviet Union

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon May 31 15:14:30 PDT 1999

At 10:11 PM 5/31/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Paddy Ashdown, leader of the Liberal Democrat Party in Britain has been
>successful in persuading Tony Blair to intervene in Kosovo, and then to
>promote the idea of ground troops.
>
>On Saturday he argued that Bosnia and Kosovo were mere preludes to the
>tasks of NATO with the forthcoming implosion of the former Soviet Union.

So British Liberal Democrats dream of Drang Nach Osten, huh? - that "steppen" of Ukraine must be a promising Lebensraum for the starved for space Brits.

>I cannot really see this. I can see Europe expecting to assimilate the
>Yugoslavia. Yesterday Slovakia just voted in a president sympathetic to the
>country aligning with the European Union and seeking NATO entry.

Just as they did in 1938 facing the prospect of Hitler's panzer rolling over their country. However, the Anschluss of Yugoslavia is a moot point. It cost Hitler some 700 thousand prime SS troops. What makes you think that their British parteigenose would fare any better?

As I said before and will repeat again, scratch a liberal democrat and find a Nazi underneath.

Heil Blair!

wojtek