Why Get 'Sokaled'? (was Re: it's the Science vs. Ideology show)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 2 07:58:10 PST 1999

>> Charles: What means "absolute integrity"? Is this a mathematical concept
>freakin' hope not. whatever you do, please don't mention it to sokal,
>Angela
>_________

One question that I have about the Sokal Affair concerns why postmodernists did not, and generally do not, limit the applicability of their arguments to _how people most commonly come to understand the social relations_. While still not quite true, postmodernism and sophisticated pragmatism should sound quite convincing to non-Marxists if their observations were limited to the above (though political implications of their philosophical premises do not tend towards emancipatory ends, since they deconstruct emancipatory ends themselves). If their critical enterprise were more modest, they wouldn't have gotten 'Sokaled,' at least.

Yoshie