Force & Truth (was Re: litcritter bashing...)

Wed Nov 3 12:27:51 PST 1999

David Jennings [MSAI] wrote:

>[snip]
> >
> >Nope, not Russell. For me, the point of interest in the quote is the
> >notion of "truth" existing apart from our thoughts of "truth," in the
> >light of claims about the impossibility of truth claims.
> >

>I thought the interesting part was "even if it does not exist in nature."

That too, implying that there's a nature that exists apart from our perceptions of nature.

Charles: Lenin's approach to this is to mention species of animals that existed before the human species existed. They existed without human thoughts or perceptions of them.

This is on the fundamental definition of materialism. Materialism is the proposition that there is objective reality that exists independently of our thoughts of it.

CB