'jouissance' (was Re: Force & Truth (was Re: litcritter bashing...))

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 01:42:08 PST 1999

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Charles Brown wrote:

> Is this 'jouissance' is in a way akin to the thing that Marx meant when he
> replied, in response to a question about 'what is human nature':
> 'struggle'? Like 'desire'?
>
> (((((((((((
>
> Charles: I don't know if this makes any difference, but I believe the
> question Marx answered with "struggle" , was " What is ?". It was from
> an American reporter from the Chicago Tribune in a newspaper interview.
> Sort of a psychedelic question for 1880, but....
>
> Carrol can corroborate me on this.

Charles, I looked up that interview on the MEIA - there is one from 1879 with a reporter from the Chicago Tribune, I'm not sure if it is the same one as the one you mean.

Anyway, I couldn't find that question/reponse in the interview. I'd like to see an authorative reference, though. Any takers?

Peter

-- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.