glass steagall

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 10:07:10 PST 1999

>Other countries have no equivalent of Glass-Steagall; they have
>large, universal banks. And many of those other countries have more
>egalitarian distributions of income and fewer financial crises than
>does the U.S. It's how you regulate and supervise the beasts that
>matters. All that populist inheritance about dispersal of ownership
>deserves a decent burial.

I think you're a little hasty there, Doug. Arguably, "those other countries have more egalitarian distributions of income and fewer financial crises" *despite* having large, universal banks. I can't see how it helps the quality of U.S. life to have retrograde social policies *and* the greater concentration of capital that will result from abolition of Glass-Steagall.

Carl