Breathing While Black

Sat Nov 6 08:54:40 PST 1999

Thanks for posting this, Yoshie. I read it in the pulp form. For those who want to tear up the Constitution, I think the 2nd Circuit has already started the process. The ACLU was probably too busy defending the rights of the KKK to speak to be involved.

Even the prosecuter/appellee knows he's wrong:

" The case against the plaintiffs was argued by lawyers from the office of State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, who had a statutory obligation to defend the state in the suit, but who made it clear that he was uncomfortable with the outcome.

"I read the circuit opinion," he said yesterday. "And I said, 'You know what? We won the case but it makes your skin crawl.' "

I want to organize a picket of the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.

There is no premature anti-fascism.

CB

>>> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> 11/04/99 07:54PM >>>
http://www.nytimes.com/library/opinion/herbert/110499herb.html

The New York Times

November 4, 1999

IN AMERICA

Breathing While Black

By BOB HERBERT

A federal appeals court says it's all right, but it's not all right.

Here's the lead paragraph from the New York Times story on a decision last week by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit:

"A federal appeals court ruled yesterday that police officers in Oneonta, N.Y., did not violate the Constitution when they tried to stop every black man in town in 1992 after a woman said she had been robbed in her home by a young black man."

Got that? Every black man in town. This is New York, mind you, not Mississippi.

After hearing that a black man had committed a crime, the cops went after every black man they saw walking the streets. They dragooned black men and boys (and at least one black woman!) who were trying to use public transportation. They pulled over black guys riding in cars. They went to the State University of New York at Oneonta and got a list of all the black students in the school, and they went after them.