Greater Confidence in Democrats, Poll Finds

Christine Peterson quintanus at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 08:57:26 PST 1999

But just like it took democrat Clinton to trash welfare/have military intervention in several countries/erode civil rights, it takes Donald Trump to be the only one to even raise the idea of having wealthy people pay for the debt. Actually, I have the perception that a lot of regular people (amongst family and acquaintances) don't realize that the deficit and debt are different things, and that we still have a debt - the language that the media uses wouldn't lead one to remember this because they always talk about a surplus and then the question whether it should be used for 'tax relief' *or* social security.

I'm looking forward to when they start to really scrutinize Bush in the media during the presidential campaign. I realized this past weekend when I read one of the articles about Bush screwing up during an interview that my smart little 12 yr old nintendo playing cousin has SAT scores almost as high as Bush did when he got into Yale - for some reason they were having the class take the SATs in the 7th grade for practice. George Will, who is such a total blueblood, was defending Bush for not having basic recognition regarding those four countries saying that he didn't know the names either, only a nerd would. It's like, the general public shouldn't have to know this information for most countries in the world, but if your specialty is being an auto mechanic or auto parts salesman, then you can be expected to know the details about hundreds of different cars, and if you're running the world, then you should have more than vision.