Greater Confidence in Democrats, Poll Finds

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Nov 10 12:57:10 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:36:35 EST "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes:
>>I realized this past weekend when I
>>read one of the articles about Bush screwing up during an interview
>that my
>>smart little 12 yr old nintendo playing cousin has SAT scores almost
>as
>>high
>>as Bush did when he got into Yale
>
>Yale sure is looking more and more like a diploma mill. Boola-boola,
>indeed.

While Bush's SAT scores are not unrespectable by contemporary standards, given the fact that he enjoyed what the Brits would call a "privileged" education one would have expected that he should have done better on them. (Indeed, I would bet that almost every subscriber to this list did better than Bush on the SAT exam). Also, despite the fact that he only earned gentleman C's while at Yale, he still managed to get into Harvard Business School which has long been notorious for requiring that prospective applicants not have less than excellent academic records. Also, Bush's achievements in his business career were not overly remarkable given the advantages that he started out with.

Whereas, in Britain, children of the ruling class with mediocre

talents like Bush's would be shunted off into a career in the Anglican Church, in the US we put such people into the White House.

Jim F.