Greater Confidence in Democrats, Poll Finds

Maureen Therese Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 10 18:18:57 PST 1999

James F. wrote:

>(Indeed, I would bet that
>almost every subscriber to this list did better than Bush
>on the SAT exam).

I read that he scored in the 1200s. If memory serves, this is still higher than ninety-percent of test-takers (themselves mostly students bound for 4-year-colleges). I certainly hope this list isn't mostly comprised of that narrow slice of the social spectrum which outscored Bush. In our zeal to illuminate GWB's class-privilege let's not counter-productively lend legitimacy to such a tightly class-correlated "aptitude"-measurer as the SAT.

Maureen (first-generation college attender who probably scored lower than GWB but really don't recall--only remember filling in all those dreadful little ovals with #2 pencil while suddenly wishing I hadn't slept through math class and wondering what would happen if I craftily filled in two ovals per question instead of one...)