SAT, etcRe: Greater Confidence in Democrats, Poll Finds

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 10 23:18:04 PST 1999

Maureen Therese Anderson wrote:

> (first-generation college attender who probably scored lower than GWB but
> really don't recall--only remember filling in all those dreadful little
> ovals with #2 pencil while suddenly wishing I hadn't slept through math
> class and wondering what would happen if I craftily filled in two ovals per
> question instead of one...)

SAT, of course, has not been here since Year 1. I never even heard of it until I already had my Ph.D. In fact, the first time I ever heard of the GRE was when another person on the faculty proclaimed that *everyone* in grand school had taken it. These tests are relatively recent. No SAT (or any other national test) at Western Michigan in 1947; no GRE at U of Mich in 1955.

Carrol