Driving (was Henwood vs. Cockburn)

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 12:24:02 PST 1999

> I don't like driving -
> it's so boring but it still demands all your attention. I'd rather
> ride on a bus.
>
> Doug

This is something that always interests me - it seems to be endemic among lefty types. While I am fully aware of the negative environmental and social impacts of the automobile, I must confess I do love driving. Fast cars, fast motorcycles, the sound of a well-tuned engine, hell, even the smell of gasoline: they're all a (somewhat guilty) pleasure to me. There's no disputing preferences, and I know some right-wing types who don't like driving either, but I wonder if sometimes this is the sort of thing that divides the urban left from the people out in the hinterlands. I do know that my father would never listen to anything Nader has to say because of what he did to his beloved Corvair...

Jim Baird