Cockburn vs. Reed

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Fri Nov 12 20:44:31 PST 1999

I'm a big admirer of Adolph Reed (although I don't share his hopes for the Labor Party Advocates.) He's a real scholar, negotiates race and gender really smartly and without identity-political excesses (instead of just leaving them out, like the primitive "class is all" types ). And is really funny and sharp. I couldn't believe it when Alex actually referred to him in his Nation column as "that fool, Adolph Reed" (edited down from "that idiot, Adolph Reed.") Wouldn't catch him talking that way about Ron Paul!

Katha