Zip Code Populism

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Sat Nov 13 09:16:07 PST 1999

Back to Doug and his effete life on the Upper West Side, where we sometimes run into each other shopping for truffles on Broadway -- Alex C lived on CENTRAL PARK WEST for quite a while (He was a much better writer then, too -- coincidence?). I believe Alex lived for a time in chic and expensive KEY WEST, when he was married to the daughter of the man who made the Wall Street Journal a big deal, one of the numerous rich and socially prominent women with whom he has been linked over the years.

Alex is a "redneck populist" like Pat Buchanan is a peasant rebel.

Katha