Adolph Reed on "stupidity"

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Sat Nov 13 18:06:07 PST 1999

Well, I can certainly see a working class person (or anyone else) deciding not to vote for the Democrats -- I agree with Jeff there. But then Jeff (sorry I lost yr post, hope I get this right) steps over into wishful thinking, which is to see voting for the Republicans as some kind of radical protest, or fuck-you to the establishment. As if the Repubs were not ALSO the establishment, a party of corporate capitalism, environmental despoliation, huge military buildup, intrusions on civil liberties and everything Jeff hate the Dems for. After all, the Repubs have had the Presidency for most of the postwar era,control many states etc -- they have a very long track record of doing awful things, and are hardly a party of proletarian protest!

So when working class people vote Republican, I, like Adolph, find it hard to see them as voting their interests in ANY WAY. and so naturally, one looks around for explanations for this curious behavior: the zeal of the Republican party to roll back every gain of the civil rights movement, from affirmative action to fair housing laws, does come to mind, as also their opposition to equality for women, plus their jingoism, xenophobia, pandering to religious bigotry and resistance to just about every social-benefit program ever invented -- including, as max, points out, food stamps!

The logical position would be not to vote for either major party -- and this, I believe, is indeed the majority working class position. As the parties converge, the electorate shrinks. But romanticizing working class support for one set of reactionary politicians as some kind of protest against reactionary views in the other set -- I just don't see it.

But then I don't think Ron Paul is the people's hero, either.

Katha