Spivak at the World Bank

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Nov 14 01:35:34 PST 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Mr P.A. Van Heusden wrote:

> And what does Spivak going to the Bank and speaking to them like this mean
> for all the people across the world who are campaigning against Bank
> policies?

Oh, I'm sure she did that. What you read was the WB's version of what she said, suitably sanitized, etc. It was interesting because, later on in the same thread, there's an email by an Indian economist, I think, who defends Spivak stoutly, this person worked for the Asian Development Bank or something. This shows that Wall Street's nostrums are starting to get some indigenous competition, even in the rarefied eyrie of the World Bank.

-- Dennis