Spivak at the World Bank

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 12 08:27:20 PST 1999

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

>Found this by pure accident. The story is at:
>
>http://www.globalknowledge.org/worldbank/gender-law/current/0022.html
>
>I had no idea we litcritters were so influential. Today World Bank
>seminars, tomorrow the world!

Unlike the IMF, the World Bank is extremely clever about dealing with its critics. It listens to them, parrots back their rhetoric, and give the tamer among them consulting contracts. I was astonished to hear James Wolfensohn's first speech to the annual IMF/WB meeting as Bank president - he'd clearly read and absorbed the NGO critique of development and knew how to talk the talk. No doubt we'll be seeing World Bank studies of whether the subaltern is bankable soon.

Doug