organizing Silicon Valley

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Nov 14 09:30:46 PST 1999

Amy Dean is a dynamite organizer. I worked with her a number of years ago when her Central Labor Council was helping host statewide meetings of unions, environmental groups, community groups and defense conversion organizations to grapple with the early 90s recession. She has since taken over the CLC and has made high-tech contingent organizing a priority and has hired some very smart researchers to assist strategic planning.

I highly recommend looking at their web site http://www.atwork.org/clc/ and especially at their reports at their Working Partnerships non=profit companion site. Chris Brenner, a researcher who has written for DOLLARS AND SENSE among other areas, has written or co-written some very good reports on the state of contingent labor in the region and around the country.

--Nathan Newman