Populism as Masquerade (was Re: Henwood vs. Cockburn)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Nov 14 09:53:27 PST 1999

I'd add to this the prison guard union in California- which has tremendous wealth and for all practical purposes owns both parties - but has been a most backwards corrupt force in the state. It has, for instance, used that power to support the building of more prisons over using state money for rehabilition, something most of us know is badly lacking in the current incarceration craze. Most recently the union used its power to protect member guards who regularly abuse prison inmates from any legal consequences of their behavior. There was a big story in the LA Times about how the guards used one inmate - the "boody(sp?) bandit" - to rape prisoners the guards had something against...

I don't think I've ever written that word "boody". It could be "boodie," instead.

For those of us who support the old union ideals (as do many rank and file members in these unions), it does seem difficult to rally around what we have got as representative organization of unions today.

marta

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/ramps.html