"White Trash" -- A Spurious Category

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Sun Nov 14 22:28:04 PST 1999

> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:56:44 -0500
> From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> There's obviously nothing wrong with knowing how to use a gun. I
> personally don't, but probably I should. As for populism, judging by what
> you say about your brother, it doesn't seem to me that he subscribes to any
> "ism," in the sense of a coherent political ideology, such as populism.

maybe in a free moment you might explain what role slagging chimerical pomos plays in a 'coherent pol- itical ideology.' in the meantime, i'll just point out that 'populism' is a descriptive category. the historical phenomena on which it was based weren't 'coherent' when they were in the present. it isn't organic, integral or derived from first principles.

the fact that we can't invest this bloke's complex of beliefs with the necessitarian integrity of ret- rospection hardly makes it incoherent. though i'll except platonists from that 'we.'

> expose it as a false category that divides workers. I think that those
> cultural studies folks who sort of invented what may be called hip "white
> trash studies" (e.g. _White Trash: Race and Class in America_, eds. Matt
> Wray and Annalee Newitz) have done a disservice to the Left. The same must

heh. yeah... oh, nevermind.

cheers, t